Guatemala City, by Yuliza Muñoz -AGN-. The Guatemalan Tourism Institute -Inguat- announced the start of the volcano season 2023 during a joint event with the Adventure Tourism Association of Guatemala, inviting Guatemalans to visit and enjoy the different attractions in the country.
This year, 60 travelers will start a unique experience by climbing three of Guatemala’s majestic volcanoes: the Pacaya, Tajumulco, and Acatenango.
These actions promote the natural wealth and adventure activities that local and foreign visitors can enjoy, as well as the majesty of the volcanoes that offer impressive views of Guatemala.
It is also important that those who practice this activity consider specific measures to avoid accidents. The National Coordinator for Disaster Reduction -Conred- provides the following recommendations to safeguard the lives of residents and tourists:
- Consider local weather forecasts, as extreme cold puts hikers’ lives at risk.
- Contact the local municipality and indicate the planned activity.
- Request an experienced tour guide to determine safe areas.
- Follow the instructions of the authorities.
- Use appropriate clothing.
- Have a backpack containing the necessary supplies, including a personal first aid kit.
- Share the list of people traveling with you on the ascent to the volcano with emergency authorities.
- Have a communication plan with family members regarding the status of those participating in the trek.
- Do not leave the group during the activity.
- Respect nature without littering.
- Report any possible incidents.