Guatemala City, by Yuliza Muñoz -AGN-. During the 2023 volcano season, the Guatemalan Tourism Institute -Inguat- shared the different attractions of the country and invited the people to explore the diverse landscapes and experience the thrill of ascending, exploring craters, and marveling at the force of nature.
These actions are coordinated to promote the natural richness and adventure activities available for local and foreign visitors and to enjoy the majesty and breathtaking views from the volcanoes.
Inguat invited people to explore the following volcanoes:
Ruta de los tres volcanes de occidente— CONAP (@CONAPgt) August 14, 2023
El tema principal de esta ruta es la historia geológica de #Guatemala.
Acá más detalles 📷https://t.co/j5CRG5mcRU#turismo #sigap #ÁreasProtegidas #turismolocal #turismosostenible #turismodeaventura #turismointerno pic.twitter.com/qOIE642d7i
The authorities indicated that it is essential for those who practice this discipline to keep in mind specific preventive measures to avoid accidents that could endanger their safety. Therefore, the National Coordinator for Disaster Reduction -Conred- contemplates the following recommendations to safeguard the lives of residents and tourists:
- Consider the weather forecast at the site, as extreme cold endangers the lives of hikers.
- Contact the local municipality and report the planned activity.
- Request the assistance of a tour guide who knows the area to determine safe areas.
- Follow the indications of the authorities.
- Use proper clothing.
- Have a backpack with the necessary resources, including a personal first-aid kit.
- Share the list of people going with you on the ascent to the volcano with the rescue corps or authorities.
- Have a communication plan indicating to family members how the people participating in the trek are doing.
- Do not separate from the group during the activity.
- Respect nature by not littering.
- Indicate any incident that could occur.